Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pill Hill Press Closed

I received the Ralan newsletter this morning and discovered a surprise. Pill Hill Press closed up shop. Small publishers come and go all the time. Why would I take interest in this closure?

A couple of weeks ago, I received an acceptance letter from Pill Hill. My short short "Final Footprints" would soon appear in their upcoming anthology Daily Frights 2013: 365 Days of Frightening Flash Fiction. First sign of trouble was very few project updates. In the past, they were diligent with updates and response times. One starts to worry when efficiency starts to lag.

Around the beginning of January, I heard news the owner/main editor Jessy gave birth to twins (Congratulations!). By the end of January, Pill Hill Press had closed. The website and forum were shut down. The reason circulating is Jessy decided to be a mom instead of a publisher owner/editor. I'm not certain if that is the sole reason. Supposedly, there was a mass email sent out but I never received it. Learning this news rendered my acceptance letter worthless. It's sad but not the first time it has happened to me.

In other news, I completed my monthly Write1Sub1 goal for January...

2 comments:

Bhaswati said...

That's so unfortunate. Writers work hard for every submission, and one does feel a bit cheated with an acceptance that meets such an end. But hey, that means your story will be in a different anthology now. Just submit again. And GOOD LUCK!

Dan said...

I too had a story scheduled for inclusion in "Daily Frights 2013." That is sad news.

Dan