Sunday, March 01, 2009

AbDWriMo is Over!

Page-a-Day WC - 228 words

The Authors By Design Writing Month is over. My final word count came out to be 20,078. I didn't do as well as some of the others but I have to say I did pretty good. Here is an excerpt for your reading pleasure:

Leaning over hot stoves, the butcher put his culinary talents to work. Added a little of this and that. Then, stirred. Mixed in a few more ingredients and taste tested his creation. More adjustments were made. He moved on to another dish. Anna intended to switch to a difference camera when something caught her eye.

Zooming in, she realized what it was. The grilled cheese sandwich and pie fought for a reappearance. She wanted to dash to a nearby restroom but knew she would be caught. "The stew. I can't believe she would do that. Go that far."

That first night when they arrived, her group sat down to dinner as the current was about to do. "I knew something was off. Who eats stew with a sixteen-piece place setting?" she said. The mere thought made her gag. "I knew the meat tasted funny. I can't believe it. She turned me in to her."

The thought made her want to run from herself. This bĂȘte noire upgraded from murderer to monster. Suddenly, her breath quickened. Her heart pounded. The room began to spin. She felt like her number was up. She escaped murder, dismemberment and being devoured by some unexpected person. She had survived it all when so many didn't. Now a heart attack was going to accomplish what they hadn't.

Now on to National Novel Editing Month!

0 comments: