Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Word Can

Page-a-Day WC - 380 words

Years ago, when I was in high school, a friend of mine gave me a gift. It was a little paint can filled with candy. I can’t recall why I was given this. The candy wasn’t all that, but the container was cute. I kept it all these years looking for a way to resist the urge to toss it and instead, recycle it for another use. I think I found one recently. Behold….The Word Can!

dsci1673

It’s nice and groovy, right? The purpose of the Word Can is simple. A common writing exercise to get the inspirational juices flowing is to use a list of random words to create a story. It’s like a MadLib in reverse.

I wrote words and phrases on slips of paper, folded and tossed them in. Whenever I feel blocked, I can draw several out of the Word Can and write. Just another tool to keep working on my goal for this year.